Friday, January 22, 2010

Updates

Queenstown,

On the way to Queenstown we had awesome weather, this usually happens on the way to a destination not at it, and we stopped at a reflection lake. Not what you are thinking, we didn’t get out and reflect over our trip. The lake is simply the product of a glacier that wore down the terrain over time and created a bowl in the earth. There are no rivers or streams feeding it and therefore the lake is eerily still. In the reflection of the lake you can see the mountains in the background as if you were staring into a mirror. I started taking pictures and after two my camera’s battery died, epic fail. I returned to the bus a little frustrated but at the same time I had taken my mental pictures and the scenery was absolutely amazing. I did get some pictures so lets not see any looting in the streets. The weather over the past few days has varied from bouts of sunshine to the gradual onset of clouds and rain. The weather has been so unpredictable it is hard to even schedule tours or activities during the day. A few friends I have made along the trip and I went to have a picnic by the lake. Unbeknownst to us we were sitting in the middle of a Frisbee golf course and occasionally we were forced to duck and miss a flying disc. After the picnic we went about town checking out the local shops and seeing just how expensive a tourist town could be. We finally found something to suit everyone and went on a harbor cruise. The cruise was delightful enough, the captain a bit of a nonchalant ass. It took us around the coastline and near the mouth of the Shotover River. The guide decided, that instead of telling about the history of the town and the scenery we were taking in, that he would tell us how much house prices were and how much money had been wasted on certain development projects doomed to failure. A glorified Aspen condo sales pitch! The Majestics, the mountains surrounding Queenstown, have been dawning an almost constant covering of clouds. This makes for a pretty awesome picture but does not let you see the elevation of the mountains themselves. After the cruise we went to a free underwater observatory to watch small Asian kids put money in a machine to feed the trout. The rainbow and brown trout were astonishingly huge! They also had some ducks, Teal, that would dive from the surface to the bottom of the lake, around 15 feet, and then search the bottom for food for up to 45 seconds. It was pretty impressive and called for the occasional laugh. I returned to my hostile and fell asleep almost instantly. So fast in fact, that I fell asleep full clothed with my laptop and laundry on my bed. Around 4am I rolled around and worried…..”Oh no, where is my laptop I hope it hasn’t fallen off the bed!” Just at that time I heard a loud, “THUD”. My laptop, in my search, had fallen off of the bed on to an unconscious Korean named Eden. The noise was so loud that it woke everyone in the room, so loud that the two Israeli gentlemen were convinced that it was an earthquake. After checking my laptop for and problems, no Dad I didn’t break it, I gave the universal thumbs up and apologized only to get laughter in return. I woke up the next morning and remembered that I had not booked any tours for the day, it was raining, and that I was to be stuck in Queenstown by myself all day. This was probably one of the better days of the southern Island. I had time to catch up with EVERY member of my family as well as some people I haven’t spoken with in over a month. I was also delighted; as well as other people were I am sure, to do my laundry. My favorite part of the day however, was getting to see Bennett walk. It is crazy to think about how much he has grown since I have been gone. At the days end my friend, Jellienke, came over and downloaded an obscene amount of music on my computer, all in Dutch, and charged her ipod while telling me about her day. I got to bed relatively early and woke with a since of accomplishment after my day of nothing in Queenstown. I left for Dunedin today and so far the only thing anyone has recommended to do is check out the Cadbury factory as well as the Speights brewery. I am planning on doing both tomorrow as for some reason I booked two nights here when everyone suggested booking only one. After Dunedin I am headed to Lake Tekapo where there are supposed to be some stellar views of Mt. Cook. After my previous mountaineering experience I doubt I’ll feel the need to tackle this one. The New Zealand portion of my trip is almost over and I have this overwhelming feeling of not wanting it to end as well as the feeling that I can’t wait to get somewhere new. I am missing home but over the 7 weeks I have been here I have had enough support and encouragement from everyone to keep my spirits high. I hope all is well wherever you are and that you are finding this trip as enjoyable as I am. Until the next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment