Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sydney, I've missed you!

Ahhh the wonders of traveling Emirates airlines. Let me preface this entry by saying just how awesome Emirates Airline is. It is freaking awesome. Even though I was with the lesser passengers in economy class I got a hot towel service, lamb dinner, and a free drink, Jameson on the rocks. If only they could have had an ejection button for the child sitting in the row in front of me I feel as though I may have never left the aircraft. We arrived in Sydney and as is usual EVERYONE got to their feet as though they were going to let us off of the emergency exits. I patiently waited my turn for about 30 minutes and then decided to join the masses. As soon as I got on my feet there was an announcement, “Attention passengers due to an illness on this flight a medical officer is boarding to determine if this flight should be quarantined”. Crap! So I returned to my seat as did the other 400 passengers and as soon as we sat down it was as if it were a practical joke and they told us we were clear to leave. As I approached customs I could see the luggage carousel in front of me, calling my name. Apparently, it was the wrong name, I had to wait thirty minutes while they changed the spelling of my middle name on my visa. It was well past midnight as far as I was concerned and I sat in a little chair feeling as though I had just smuggled a large bag of crack in my bag, and no Mom I didn’t make the same mistake twice. Finally, I get to my bag which, its protective container had been shredded, picked it up and walked towards customs. At customs I was forced to again basically empty my bag to allow for a search. Previously on this leg of my journey I was swabbed, my bag not my body, and frisked by a Kiwi fellow while being asked what an American was doing going to Australia. I digress. After I got through customs I looked around and realized that I had no clue how I was going to get to my hostel. I talked to the lady at an information desk and she informed me that, “No worries, your bus is coming in 15 minutes”. I passed the 30 minutes, thank you ozzie bus schedule, by talking to a Canadian about her travels over the past year. A middle eastern man approached and asked if I had a ticket, I told him no, “is someone coming to pick you up?”, “I honestly couldn’t tell you”. After a few looks I asked him to drop me off and he obliged. It instantly felt as though my worst fears were going to come true, I may be kidnapped by a middle eastern man disguised as a taxi driver. The man threw our luggage into his van and instructed his friend where to drop us. Upon arrival, I realized again that I had no Australian money, I bartered with the guy and convinced him it was in his interest to pocket the 20nzd and just let me slide. I got away with another one! I checked into the hostel and decided it was time to hit the pub, my body however realized that it was about 2 am and decided to hit the sack. I woke up this morning after an Asian roommate’s cell phone alarm continuously went off, not ring ring or buzz buzz, but “GOOD MORNING SLEEPY HEAD” insert the most typical music being played in Japan here. I went and had breakfast in Darling Harbor and then proceeded to check out the aquarium. The Ozzies know how to do their aquariums. I saw the most deadly jelly fish, the most deadly fish, and, of course, a huge croc. I spent a few hours there and am about to head back to the wildlife exhibit to try and pet a koala and a kangaroo. Well I hope this wet your whistle and I hope all is well.

Until Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment