Sunday, January 31, 2010

Happy Birthday TO ME!!

I walked around the Darling Harbor today for about an hour while I went to get some breakfast. The sights are absolutely amazing and the weather is gorgeous, it could however clear up and get a little sunnier. I met some British kids, Gavin and Jake, and a Canadian, in my room and we all decided to go out. We got along pretty well and so the next day Jake, Gavin, and myself went to Bondi Beach to do some surfing. The weather was absolutely spectacular and after we figured out the Australian bus system we were on our way to Bondi. We walked around for about an hour trying to find the proper bus stop and another 20 minutes trying to find how to pre-pay for our tickets, we were told this was required. So we found the stop and were held up on the bus by someone buying a ticket….needless to say I was just a little pissed. We got to Bondi and rented surfboard from a questionable shop that preferred us to pay with cash instead of card, even though there was a card machine right beside him. We walked down to the beach and picked out a pretty good spot then scouted the waves. From far back they looked pretty harmless, then we got in the water. The water was super blue and it was a little crowded, but we managed to only get hit by 5 boards on our way out to wait on the waves. I was trying to teach Jake how to surf, I’m not the best teacher, and I felt a little proud when he caught his first wave. I got up only once all day and after I did I regretted it due to the difference in height from lying down to standing up. That fall hurt a little more than the rest. We met back up with Gavin, who was on the beach, and he told us that Coke was giving out free drinks and that we should check it out. They were in fact, and they also had a huge jump jump. The line was just a little too long for our liking and we took our free cokes then headed back to our spot on the beach. We chilled the rest of the day and took in the scenery. After we left we realized just how bad our burns were, and I realized that if you put sunscreen in one spot you will get burned everywhere else. I’m not saying I didn’t know this already but I was in a rush to put it on. We went back to the hostel to nurse our wounds and watch the semis of the Australian open. The next day we played ping-pong for a few hours while I waited on my hotel to be ready. We went out for my birthday and had a relatively good time, it’s hard when you only know 2 people but better than none. I went to be pretty early, considering it was a celebration and woke up only to decide to sleep in. After rousting myself from bed I set off to check out the harbor, Circular Quay. The harbor allows for really good views of the Sydney Bridge and houses the Sydney Opera House. Although I had already seen it once, I took a tour of the opera house and it again stunned me. I only wish we would have seen a little more. The Opera House is one of the things I really find amazing. The tour had videos about it, the house, being built and to hear the trials and tribulations that took place is something everyone should do. I bought some presents for people in the gift shop then contemplated going to see a comedy show at the Opera House tonight then I remembered the finals were on and decided for the tennis. I only have one more day left in Sydney and I am very sad to leave it. I am hoping tomorrow that I can check out the Olympic facilities as well as the Sydney wildlife exhibition. With only 30 days left I am starting to realize just how quick this trip has gone by and I hope that I utilized my time to the fullest and I hope to continue to do that for the next 30 days.

Until Next Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment